Friday 17 September 2010

Cycling: Folding bike for commuting - Raleigh Folda review and user guide

I wanted to get myself a folding bike for commuting having tried the Barclays cycle hire and been impressed with the ease of cycling and provision of cycling paths but put off by the lack of bikes and bike rack space in the mornings. I figured a folding bike could be used both ends of my journey and also it would be door-to-door unlike the cycle scheme. Some are crazy expensive and I wasn’t sure how much use I would get from it so I decided to take a bit of a gamble on a cheapy one from Amazon. It was made more of a gamble than it should have been due to a complete lack of pictures, reviews, or anything much at all on the internet about this bike. Well, now I’ve taken the plunge I can help you buy armed with much more detailed knowledge! If you find this information useful then please use the link on the right to go back to Amazon to buy as I’ll get a small amount of commission for my trouble at no cost to you!

It came folded and thoroughly packaged in mostly recyclable cardboard. Sadly the instructions were pretty poor and the multi-tool supplied covered most of the setup but by no means all. I would suggest you also need a medium size cross-point screwdriver, a set of Allen keys (hex keys), and possibly an adjustable spanner. I’ve created a panel of accessories you may want to consider below.
The bike has a decent set of brakes and an easy to use shimano revo-shift gear change with a reasonable range from climbing hills to cruising on the flat – there’s not a lot at the high end to really push it down hills but I certainly feel I’m making decent progress and working pretty hard if going for it it in top gear. One of the nice thing about this package is that it includes most of the “extras” you want on a commuter bike like chain guard, luggage rack, stand, bell, and a good set of mud guards. You will almost certainly need to consider at least some of the following accessories too. All of these I own the exact product or a close equivalent as indicated on the notes. The wedge bag includes a puncture repair kit and multi-tool so if getting that you won’t want the separate items.




Setting it up for the first time
  1. Clamp the main hinge closed – I was able to do this however it wasn’t tight. This is a two stage clamp. First you close a lever that pulls the clamp shut, then rotate a safety catch to prevent the lever coming undone.  I had to tighten the screw on the end of the hex bolt and adjust the bolt to get a nice firm clamp.
  2. Attach the pedals – one of which is a folding pedal that should go on the right. The manual doesn’t describe how to fold the pedals however it’s pretty neat. There’s a small metal lever hidden in the side of the pedal. Press this in to release the pedal allowing you to pull it away from the bike and fold it down.
  3. Inflate the tyres to the pressure indicated on the tyre wall.
  4. Rotate the handlebars so the break levers are at a comfortable orientation – requires Allen key (not supplied). I found that making the handles as high as possible gave a good view of the gear selection and placed the brakes in a comfortable position.
  5. Tighten the handlebar clamp – this is alleged to be set to the correct tension in the factory but mine wasn’t. Turn the quick release clamp clockwise to tighten and then push lever down with your palm to secure.
  6. Tighten the front reflector bracket – I had to take it off in order to get the thread correctly aligned. I then re-fitted to bike ok.
  7. Attach the bell – worth doing if you go anywhere near pedestrians who wonder all over the place. I found that placing it by my left hand oriented to be close to my thumb was most accessible while not being in the way of any other controls.
  8. Insert and tighten the seat post clamp – You want the lever to be pointing forwards clear of the luggage rack for this so it’s worth using an Allen (hex) key to tighten a half turn, clamp – and repeat until you can really tighten the clamp. With my bulk (16st) on it I do have to make a real effort to tighten it so that it will stay in position.
You’re ready to ride!

Folding and unfolding
This really is a very simple operation that can be completed in minutes and has nothing especially fiddly to contend with. As can be seen on the video without particularly rushing folding or unfolding can be completed in under 30s.

  1. Press lever to release pedal and fold
  2. Undo centre clamp and fold frame
  3. Undo handle bar clamp and fold down
  4. If necessary release saddle clamp, adjust, and re-tighten


Video demonstrating folding and unfolding the bike
Transporting and wheeling
There isn’t any sort of catch to keep it closed however I’ve not found this too much of a problem. You could use a luggage strap to just hook it in if you wanted. With a bit of practice it wheels reasonably easily on the front wheel while you hold it by the saddle – it’s easiest to unfold it if wheeling any distance though especially given how easily it folds / unfolds. See the video above where I demonstrate rolling it on it’s front wheel.


Summary

I’m saving nearly £10 per week on tube fares – so the bike will pay for itself in 13 weeks and I’ll be fitter too! You wouldn’t want to carry it far (on and off the trains and up / down station steps is okay though. Size wise when in use it’s only just big enough for a 6’2 16 stone guy like myself – though the seat clamp needs to be tight! The overall build quality is high and it feels robust. The gear change and other mechanicals feel good and smooth. It folds down to a fairly compact size that is reasonably easy to take on and off mainline trains and it does fit in the luggage racks reasonably well. It also fits in my relatively small boot where I keep it for easy access and storage overnight. If you are looking for something that you will be able to carry for a while this probably isn’t for you. If you want something that’s comfortable to cycle a reasonable distance and you will only be carrying it on or off the train or into your house or office you should certainly consider it.


Pros: Feels well made, comfortable, good gears, practical, good standard equipment, good price, elegant colour, smart looking


Cons: Not the smallest, or lightest, you do need a few extra tools, instructions poor
I hope you’ve found this review helpful – and if you have please consider following the sponsored link to the right to go back to Amazon as putting this together has taken a fair bit of time and effort. You may also want to use the accessories panel above either as a checklist or a shopping list to ensure you have all you need.


Cheers Andy

1 comment:

  1. Had it a few weeks now. Still mostly happy with it however the pedals worked loose so I'd make sure you tighten them securely using a socket set or similar...

    ReplyDelete